Visa & Study Permits

Students wishing to study in Red Deer are responsible for securing their own visas and study permits prior to arrival in Canada.

Application for study permits are processed through Citizenship and Immigration Canada and applications for a study permit or visa are usually made through the Canadian Embassy in the student's country of origin.

For more information on the application process, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Once Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools has received a completed application form, we will provide a letter of acceptance that can be used to obtain study permits.

Extending Your Stay

Students wishing to extend  their study permit are responsible for applying for their extension at least three months prior to the termination date of their visa or study permit.

Applications to Extend Your Study Permit can be made through the CIC office in Canada and application documents are available at: CIC-Extend Your Study Permit

Immigration Updates

New rules that aim to strengthen Canada’s status as a study destination of choice for prospective international students will take effect on June 1, 2014. Click here to find out more.

Spread the word to your travel buddies: if you're flying to Canada in 2016, you may need an eTA. The eTA is a new entry requirement for citizens from countries other than the U.S. who do not need a visa to enter Canada. Learn more and share the message! Check here to see if it applies to you. 


  • Instructions for applying for a Mexican Visa (English) (Spanish)
  • Important note as of June 16, 2015:

  • Legalization/certification or electronic verification of documents is no longer required at the K-12 level for SEP schools

  • Legalization/certification or electronic verification of documents will still be required for all schools which fall under the jurisdiction of UNAM.
  • Legalization/certification or electronic verification of documents will still be required at the post-secondary level (Educación Superior-which includes “Educación Normal”- teacher training)